Back in the day, when someone wanted to invite guests to a birthday party, they went to the local drug store and picked a shrink-wrapped package of invitations.
Oh how things have changed. The combination of the color printer and the internet have made it possible to create invitations that center around a great photo of the birthday star.
Photo birthday invitations are a touching way to invite people to a party. Photos have the power to appeal to emotions. Depending on the mood they carry, they can cause someone to double up in laughter or be touched enough to smile tenderly. By choosing to include photos in your party announcements, you are making custom invitations that deliver a personal touch.
Tips for Choosing The Best Photos
Your photo card may become a keepsake that your guests will treasure for years to come. These tips will help you select something that will make a great birthday invitation worth hanging on to.
- Pick a candid photo, rather than one that looks posed. Try to select one that conveys the personality of the birthday star. For example, If she is known for her love of basketball, look for a snapshot at a game, holding a ball, or with her in her uniform. If he loves to cook, try to find a photo that captures his delight in the kitchen, or serving a special dish.
- In terms of photo quality, the image should be sharp and the subject in the photo should be well-lit. If the photo is digital, and you are not entirely happy with it, definitely try to edit it to improve its quality.
- If you have chosen an overall theme for the party, look for a photo that has some elements of the theme. For example, if you have a beach theme, look for a photo of the subject at the beach, or near a pool, or at least dressed for summer.
- Personalize it more for the guest if you have a photo of the birthday boy or girl with the guest. It will make the guest feel more a part of the event.
Ways To Customize Your Photo Birthday Cards
Obviously, it would be strange to send a card with a beautiful photo and no words to go with it. After you have spent so much time and effort getting the photo and other graphical elements perfect, take the time to write some great text. Ensure that you have the basic details of your party location and who the birthday star is.
- Text for Your Invitation – You could then personalize the photo invitation by putting in a catchy phrase that could go with the photo. You could also write something unique about the birthday boy or girl to add a celebratory note. For example, you might include a line from a song (offset by musical notes), a caption, something mysterious (“Guess who’s turning sweet 16?”). A favorite that I once saw said, “Melissa is turning 35″ but the picture was of the birthday star at 10. It was a fun to see her as a little girl.
- Thematic Touches – Adding a theme is another element that will set your personalized photo invitations apart. If the theme will be based on a child’s favorite kids’ program like Sesame Street, then the card could include a few of the characters from it like Big Bird, Elmo and Cookie Monster.
- Parties for Grownups - Photo birthday invitations for adults require a different approach. These can be funny, over-the-hill type of announcements with jokes about aging. There are also the decade birthdays that mark the beginning of our 20s, 30s, and 40s, all the way up the age brackets.
Pitfalls to Avoid
In choosing photos for birthday invitations you have to remember that you are not looking for perfect studio moments but for captivating moments that will inspire. A simple photo with a smiling child will be better than a stiff studio portrait. Also do not overcrowd your card to try to impress. This will be a turn off. Do not choose photos that have captivating backgrounds as they will take the attention from the subject.
All in all, with just a bit of effort, you can honor the birthday girl or guy by avoiding the shrink-wrapped pack of drug store cards, and creating a keepsake of your own.